Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Market bag idea

OK so here is my exciting idea. I am trying to use more market bags than plastic or paper at the grocery store. I have a lot of pillow cases so here is what I did to this one.

Pillow Case Market Bag

Measure down from top opening of pillow case 20 inches and cut across. Set aside. Take the bottom and measure 5 inches and cut across. Repeat 1 more time. These 2, 5 inch pieces will be the handles. the closed end of the pillow case will also be used so set aside for now.
Turn the 20 inch piece inside out. sew a 1/4 inch seam across the bottom closing the bag up. Now take the bottom closed off part and prep for the next step. Iron the closed off part. Fold the top in so 1/2 of the fabric is now inside. Repeat this step. You will now have a casing for the bottom of the bag to re-enforce the bottom. It should remind you of quilt edging. Place the raw seam of the bottom of the bag inside this casing and sew a straight seam across the top edge to seal it off and one more time 1/4 of the way from the first seam. Now you have no raw edge on the inside of the bag and the bottom should be very nice and sturdy. Now this next step will make the bottom of the bag square. Fold the corners of the bottom seam flat with the side. You should have a triangle formed when you match the side and the bottom seam flat together. Measure in from the tip of the triangle along the bottom seam 2 inches and mark with a fabric pen or do as I did and iron it back 2 inches as a mark. Sew a seam along this line. do this on the other side as well and you will get a square bottom. Now make the handles. Trim off the old seam opening up the fabric to one long piece. The old seam is the only waste on this project. Turn wrong sides out and fold in half lengthwise press the fold. Sew along one of short edges and then down the open side length wise. Turn right side out and press. turn in 1/4 inch of raw edge and press handle flat. Sew the handles to the cuff open part of the pillow case making sure they are evenly spaced. I folded the bag in fourths and pinned them in place making sure they were not twisted. I also sewed them along the top edges and along the seam of the cuff of the old pillow case (see picture)
That's it!!! Press the bag and take it with you to the market on your next trip.
My pillow case has a small hole in it on the side not photographed so I will be crocheting a flower to sew on it...LOL This is why I chose this particular pillow case. I know a lot of people have old ones laying around so...get busy and make your own recycled bags and save on plastic. If these get dirty...toss them in the wash. Have fun & tell your friends!!!
Be well and may peace guide you every day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made a couple of these myself and they work great.

Angelictoo said...

Thanks for this comment!!! I enjoyed trying something new!!!

hencat said...

This is such a great idea! I don't sew...but I have a machine. It's all ready to go (I can do straight stitching, for which this is perfect).
I have a couple of old pillowcases, so I am going to take the plunge and make this my first sewing project.
Thanks for a great pattern idea.
cathe.