Thursday, June 6, 2013

HAPHAZARD GARDENER

I admit that gardening is not my best thing in the world. I do enjoy trying to make things look beautiful. Seems to me that just getting your hands dirty and helping mother earth by making oxygen and fertile soil would be enough for some people. For me not that easy. It seems to me it's a challenge.Can I make something beautiful grow? Something small fragile and interesting in my hands. My mother claims that she did not get the genetic code for being a beautiful gardener like my grandmother. It seems that my skills are better put to use on plants that are in clearance or by just throwing seeds down randomly and just burying what look like dead sticks. I have done all of these things and manage to get beautiful plants out of them. If I've tried to buy expensive beautiful plants put them in my yard and then nurture them 9 out of 10 times, they die. So you say why do you keep torturing yourself but putting that much effort into yard work of all things. Why indeed. I manage somehow to get joy out of this activity.
Last night I put out some begonias that I bought on clearance for 75 cents a six pack. Oh yes they looked pitiful and I just knew they needed my help to grow and be beautiful. I put out cow manure, topsoil and mulch and I really treated these babies well. Last night we had storms come in. I am too scared to go outside and look at what may have happened to my beautiful flowers. Yes this is a coward speaking. I will probably go out later and take a peek but not now my heart couldn't take it. The mosquitoes here in Texas are already bad. I was I suppose supper time for several of them last night as I have bites on me today. Last night my neighbors let me know that my efforts were not in vain because my yard looked very pretty. That made my heart so happy that I was just jumping up and down and Snoopy dancing in my heart. Now a little bit of hard work is not a bad thing. Trust me when I tell you though that stinky sweaty garden body does not feel good in the shower when all of the hot water is gone. We have a tankless heater so I would never have thought we would not have hot water for my after work shower. God has a sense of humor because the flame went out and I had to take a freezing cold shower. Well I was no longer stinky but man I was freezing big time. As a lot of you may know in your own personal life a job well done and a shower to prove how hard you worked are too beautiful things. Too bad our young generations today in this world don't have good examples of that in their lives. None of them here today are getting out there and working hard for anything. Kids don't have to earn privileges they don't have to clean up their rooms and they have plenty of attitude to back that up. I think children today need to get out there with their moms their dads and their grandparents and just get their hands dirty in the soil. They need a good hard days work to see their beautiful efforts come to fruition and then they can see that the Pride they have in that job is worth all the hassle.

Blessings to you all.

No comments: