Saturday, August 4, 2012

CARPET CLEANING HOMEMADE

I have pets. I love my pets. I hate pet hair, stains and odors. I struggle just like anyone else to come to a happy meeting place. Today I worked on one problem area by cleaning up a pet stain. My dog is elderly and having issues with occasional carpet accidents. I wanted a non-toxic carpet cleaner that I could clean a tough stain and not kill us all with the fumes or chemicals I cannot pronounce. I turned to Pinterest. Yes I admit I have turned here often to get ideas. I take their suggestions to heart and I either put my own spin on it or make up my own way based on their ideas. I have often slipped up and made things just the way they tell me to...LOL!
I played around with ingredients until I got what I wanted. I want to share it with you. I did use one chemical that I have to say does not bother my allergies or my pets. It is OdoBan. I think it is a fresh clean scent and I don't mind using it. I mixed up the following:

1c OdoBan
1/4c baking soda
1/2c Hydrogen peroxide
2 T Dawn  (If you use this, you will need to rinse well..it kills fleas)
5 drops Lavender essential oil or to your liking
1c Orange Vinegar (Orange peels soaked in Vinegar for at least 2 days drained and strained) Sometimes mine goes longer as I am forgetful. LOL

I mixed everything but the baking soda (Please follow your manufacturer's directions because I may have gunked mine up with the baking soda my first time out. My man may be coming home to a cleaning project. *shrug*) {*sad face*} and used the mixture in my electric carpet cleaner. You can place in a spray bottle, spray carpet, let soak for a bit and then blot dry with a clean cloth. You can mix in the vinegar if you want to but I rinsed my floors with the orange vinegar to hopefully help discourage pet potty habits. (We shall see)

My house smells nice, my carpet is clean and I am one happy camper. Now if I could just get my man to clean the boxes more often. O:((( One problem at a time folks...one problem at a time. 


*****NOTE: I did gunk up my cleaner but was able to get it cleaned up and working again. So put it in a spray bottle and spray it ahead of the cleaner as you go. It is too good to not freshen up the carpets this way. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Different types of carpets are suitable in different types of homes and offices. Based on the condition of the carpet, you can clean it on your own or get it cleaned by a professional cleaner.


Carpet Cleaning Directory
Carpet Cleaners Directory

Lyda said...

Carpet + pets = mess! This is one of the home owner’s common issues, but no one can complain because of their love to their pets. ^_^ It’s a good thing that there are lots of solutions and services available in the market today to resolve this. It really makes our life simpler and brings us closer to our pets without worrying about the carpet stains. :-) Anyway, I’m glad that you’re satisfied with the result.

Lyda Tavorn